Best Form Of Natural Pest Control Ever!
Here Is The List
big mature beets
bunch of turnips
santa rosa plums
bag of spinach
bunch of cilantro
The onions are kind of fuggly looking. We washed em but you need to cut the skin off the bulb and they will be good to go, greens and all.
The beets are pretty mature. This means the greens are too. They are not going to be as mild as the young beet green we have been getting.
Make sure to leave the plums out on the counter to ripen. They are still pretty hard.
By the way, if you have a chance to try this spinach raw.... Do it.
Roasted Beet Salad Recipe
- 2-3 beets with root ends and stem ends intact)
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Coarse kosher salt
- 3medium oranges
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or balsamic
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Scrub beets, pat dry, rub with 1 tbsp. olive oil, and sprinkle generously with salt. Put beets on a foil-covered baking sheet and bake until tender when pierced, about 1 hour. Refrigerate uncovered until cool enough to handle, about 30 minutes. Cut off roots and stems, then rub beets with paper towels to remove skin; discard skin.
- 2. Cut beets in half lengthwise, then slice into half-moons, set aside. Cut ends off oranges, then cut away peel and outer membrane in wide strips, following the curve of the fruit with knife. Discard peel. Working over a bowl to catch juices, cut oranges between inner membranes and fruit to release segments into bowl; squeeze juice from membranes into bowl and discard membrane. Or just throw in peeled segments of orange if you want.
- 3. Finely zest the lemon into another bowl. Juice the lemon and add juice to zest. Add green onions, vinegar, and juice from oranges. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle remaining 4 tbsp. olive oil into bowl. Add beets, toss to coat, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover bowls airtight and let stand at room temperature at least 15 minutes and up to 3 hours.
- 4. Arrange spinach on a platter. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Pour beets and dressing over spinach and scatter with orange segments and cheese.
Ten Terrific Turnip Recipes !!
Have a great week!